[Mapserver-users] scaling rasters like ttf's (gif, jpg etc)

Sean Gillies sgillies at frii.com
Thu Jan 8 10:10:30 EST 2004

On Jan 8, 2004, at 3:53 AM, <lists at atsence.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I wonder if there is a way to scale gif’s in a mapserver app. Like the
> a ttf location marker with php mapscript.
>

> We generatie a gif that represents a graph from a point location
> (local measurements.) We position the gif on the map by using
> (generating) an accompanying ..wld file.
>
> However by using it this way it will not scale with the zoom factor.
>
> Is there anohtee way to place the gif (png/jpeg that is not the
> problem) on a map so that it will scale like the ttf markers?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Bart

Bart,

Do I understand correctly that you have a point layer and want to use
an image as a symbol for the point?  Do something like this

SYMBOL
   NAME "symbol_point1"
   TYPE PIXMAP
   IMAGE path/to/generated/symbol.gif
END

LAYER
   NAME "point1"
   TYPE POINT
   FEATURE
     POINTS 100 100 END   # Replace with true coordinates
   END
   SYMBOLSCALE 100000 # Scale at which symbol appears at the size below
   CLASS
     STYLE
       SYMBOL "symbol_point1"
       SIZE 64 # This is the size at scale of 1:10,000
     END
     MINSIZE 32 # Smallest size symbol will be drawn
     MAXSIZE 128 # Largest size symbol will be drawn
   END
END

This might be difficult if you have many points.  I like your idea of
using the graph as a raster ... if the world file is correct, the
graph should zoom in and out just like the rest of the map.

Hope this helps,
Sean

--
Sean Gillies