[Mapserver-users] WMS BBOX vs. Actual Bounds

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jan 8 10:37:36 EST 2004

Ed McNierney wrote:
> Ian -
>
> How is it possible to honor all parameters when they are not consistent?
> I certainly understand the need to deal with unusual output devices as
> you describe, but it is not very difficult for the client to address
> that situation.

I don't know if specifying a SRS+BBOX with a width/height ration that
doesn't match the WIDTH/HEIGHT should be called consistent or not, but
it is a valid request according to the specs.  While I would discourage
the generation of such requests in general I can understand why it would
be legitimate for some clients to request that, for instance if the
device has non-square pixels. Unfortunately significant changes would be
required to support that in MapServer, that's why we haven't done it yet.

Now, back to the original problem that was reported, if the client makes
sure that the width/height in the BBOX matches the WIDTH/HEIGHT value in
the GetMap request, then what they get is fully predictable.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca