[Mapserver-users] WMS BBOX vs. Actual Bounds

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Thu Jan 8 12:07:29 EST 2004

Paul Spencer wrote:

> For the record, I believe that the ability to return a map with
> non-square pixels is one of the few areas (or the only one?) in which
> MapServer DOES NOT comply with the WMS specification and, in fact,
> prevents anyone from seeking WMS compliance certification for MapServer.

Hi,
we run accross this problem all the time when integrating MS with other
WMS - and it always takes a lot of time to explain the implications. The
WMS spec is very specific about this (as Ian stated) and it does make
sense when you think about it long enough.
Most proprietary mapserver in the beginning had the same problem and we
came accross at least 5 different ways to "cheat" the map extent (lower
left, upper left, center center, center top, center bottom).
We hope that it will be implemented correctly (as specified in the WMS
spec) in UMN MapServer soon because many of the proprietary packages out
there already have done it and it gets more and more complicated to
integrate these compliant WMS with the UMN MS.
Probalby it will cause an uproar of all those users who currently use
the "wrong" implementation and got used to it or have adapted their
software to manage this problem (as we have done).

> Note I am not expressing an opinion either way here ;)

We do express an opinion: Better change it now as someday (soon) it will
have to be done anyway (& it doesn't matter whether we think its nicer
or not).

Cheers, Arnulf.