[Mapserver-users] Server load statistics

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Thu Jan 8 12:07:31 EST 2004

Palle Due Larsen wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to access the potential of mapserver in terms of maps
>delivered per month. I am looking for references to sites that deliver
>in excess of 3 million maps per month. Do any of you run a site or know
>of a site like that using mapserver? I'm sure it possible, what I'm
>looking for are some references/links.
>
>Best regards
>
>Palle Due Larsen
>Carl Bro GIS&IT

Hi,
we have set up a robot on one of our faster servers some time ago and
produced 430,000 map requests in 24 hours. Each map had an image size of
between 5 and 40kb, the MAP contained a PostGIS layer with 200,000
polylines and 36 GB TIFF aerial images in about 700 tiles.
We also have a much slower server which takes up to 4 seconds per
request because of enormous amounts of data... and if you then take into
account that request peaks are caused by traffic fluctuations you cannot
say anything much about general performance anyway.
In the end we can only assure you that it will be hard to find anything
faster than a well tuned UMN MapServer anyway.

Cheers, Arnulf.