[Mapserver-users] Shape file and AUTO projection problems

Jay Cable jcable at gi.alaska.edu
Tue Jan 13 15:15:13 EST 2004

Hello,
I am having problems using shapefiles and the AUTO:42003 projection.  When
displaying views of data the encompass the entire earth, mapserver appears
to draw a lot of extra lines to the origin.

Here is a sample image with this problem:
http://oldlady.gina.alaska.edu/~jcable/broken.gif

The problem appears to go away when the area displayed is reduced:
http://oldlady.gina.alaska.edu/~jcable/working.gif

I believe the shapefiles are correct, as they are sample shape files
provided by ERSI.  I have also tried other shapefiles and encountered the
same problem.

The problem does not appear to occur with other projections I tried.

Any suggestions as to how I can get around or fix this?  Am I doing
something wrong?  I tried adjusting the extent with no effect.

I am using mapserver 4.0, but also tried the latest 4.0.1, and it does the
same thing.

Thanks in advance,
  -Jay Cable
  jcable at gi.alaska.edu

Here is what my map file looks like:

  EXTENT -180.0 -90.0 180.0 90.0
  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255

  IMAGETYPE GIF

  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:4318"
  END

  WEB
    IMAGEPATH '/home/jcable/SOFTWARE/MAPPING_STUFF/http/htdocs/tmp/'
    IMAGEURL '/htdocs/tmp/'
    LOG '/home/jcable/SOFTWARE/MAPPING_STUFF/http/htdocs/tmp/log'

    METADATA
        "wms_srs"                   "EPSG:4318 AUTO:42003 AUTO:42001 AUTO:42002 AUTO:42004   AUTO:42008"
    END

  END

  # Start of LAYER DEFINITIONS
  LAYER # country polygon layer begins here
    NAME Country
    DATA "/scratch/jcable/shape_files/country"
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TYPE LINE

    PROJECTION
      "init=epsg:4318"
    END

    CLASS
      #COLOR 232 0 0
      OUTLINECOLOR 232 0 0
    END
  END # country polygon layer ends here
  # End of LAYER DEFINITIONS -------------------------------

END # end of map file/object

Jay Cable                                GINA/ION
tel (907) 474-1856                       Geophysical Institute
jcable at gi.alaska.edu                     University of Alaska
	   	                         P.O. Box 757320
                                         Fairbanks, AK 99775-7320