[Mapserver-users] MapInfo to Mapserver with additional data from MySQL

Roland Corbet Roland at cyber-media.co.uk
Wed Jan 14 05:27:24 EST 2004

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3DA89.001AD8C0

I am new to the GIS/Mapping field and am researching solutions for a project
that requires a map-based navigation system to display UK Ordnance Survey
(OS) grid points on top of maps that originate from MapInfo.

I downloaded and installed Mapserver with PHP/Mapscript and was impressed by
the demo set-ups.

>From what I have read so far, my instinct is that the solution we need is
achievable using Mapserver.  However, before I spend time in getting to know
Mapserver and Mapscript in detail, could someone tell me if what I am aiming
to achieve is possible with the combination of technology that we have
below, please?

Technology Available:

1. MySQL 4.0 (Containing OS Grid points for locations that need to be
plotted).
2. MapInfo  (Contains the map with several different boundary types defined
- forests, parishes, counties etc.)  The maps are at two scales (1:25,000
and 1:10,000).
3. Mapserver/Mapscript/PHP
4. PHP (latest version)
5. Apache running on Red Hat Linux 7.2

System to be developed:

1. We need to be able to take the maps from MapInfo and get them into a
format that can be handled by Mapserver.  Is this possible, and if so, what
is the best way to do it?

2. We need to be able to plot OS Grid Points stored in the MySQL database
onto the maps when they are produced in MapServer.  (Is it possible to do
this, or does map server only display data from the MapInfo export?)

3. The user of the web application will then be able to browse the map and
click on a point that has been plotted against an OSGR and be taken to the
full details of that location.

Will it be possible to achieve the required solution with the technology
available?  If so, any advice/tips/tutorials to assist with achieving the
solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in anticipation of your time and help.

Kind regards,

Roland

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3DA89.001AD8C0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>MapInfo to Mapserver with additional data from MySQL</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I am new to the GIS/Mapping field and am researching =
solutions for a project that requires a map-based navigation system to =
display UK Ordnance Survey (OS) grid points on top of maps that =
originate from MapInfo.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I downloaded and installed Mapserver with =
PHP/Mapscript and was impressed by the demo set-ups.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>From what I have read so far, my instinct is that the =
solution we need is achievable using Mapserver.&nbsp; However, before I =
spend time in getting to know Mapserver and Mapscript in detail, could =
someone tell me if what I am aiming to achieve is possible with the =
combination of technology that we have below, please?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Technology Available:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>1. MySQL 4.0 (Containing OS Grid points for locations =
that need to be plotted).</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>2. MapInfo&nbsp; (Contains the map with several =
different boundary types defined - forests, parishes, counties =
etc.)&nbsp; The maps are at two scales (1:25,000 and =
1:10,000).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>3. Mapserver/Mapscript/PHP</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>4. PHP (latest version)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>5. Apache running on Red Hat Linux 7.2</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>System to be developed:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>1. We need to be able to take the maps from MapInfo =
and get them into a format that can be handled by Mapserver.&nbsp; Is =
this possible, and if so, what is the best way to do it?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>2. We need to be able to plot OS Grid Points stored =
in the MySQL database onto the maps when they are produced in =
MapServer.&nbsp; (Is it possible to do this, or does map server only =
display data from the MapInfo export?)</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>3. The user of the web application will then be able =
to browse the map and click on a point that has been plotted against an =
OSGR and be taken to the full details of that location.</FONT></P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Will it be possible to achieve the required solution =
with the technology available?&nbsp; If so, any advice/tips/tutorials =
to assist with achieving the solution would be greatly =
appreciated.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thank you in anticipation of your time and =
help.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Kind regards,</FONT>
</P>