[Mapserver-users] Mapserver Security Issues

Martin, Daniel A Daniel.A.Martin at erac.com
Tue Jan 20 11:46:54 EST 2004

Your data directory has no business inside wwwroot.  In fact, you should
have almost nothing inside wwwroot, including all of your templates, map
files, and data.

The only exceptions are:
-mapserver cgi itself
-rosa or mapplet if you use them
-init pages that set up your variables for specific mapping application
-the no-records query page, that (from my experience) must be available
directly as a URL

If you don't follow this guideline, it is very easy for someone to get
at your MapServer code (templates, map files, data, etc.).  And there is
absolutely no benefit to placing anything other than those things I
mention into wwwroot.

-Dan