[Mapserver-users] Mapserver Security Issues

Andrew Arace AArace at geonetics.com
Tue Jan 20 14:44:17 EST 2004

Michael Smith,
I have run into security concerns with IIS and cgi directories blocking
paths to .exe files.
There are two main things you need to do,
First, if mapserver is running from a virtual directory (such as
Scripts) make sure that the virtual directory properties has "Scripts
and Executables" selected for execute rights.

Second is security issues with URLScan.
It seems with IIS 5 on win2000,  there is a program that is installed
to protect your webserver from malformed URL attacks. the program is URL
Scan, and info can be found on the microsoft site here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/tools/urlscan.asp

It basically blocks any attempt to execute an EXE on the server, as
well as other malformed urls. You need to change a setting in the config
file, it is in your system23 dirctory, under
inetsrv\urlscan

Read the microsoft documentation on the settings.

To secure my server, I allowed exe execution, but put cases into the
DenyUrlSequences section to deny any attempts for URL's to execute
'cmd.exe', or any url containing 'winnt' 'system32' etc. etc.

Hope this helps,
-Andrew

--
Andrew Arace
aarace at geonetics.com
Software Engineer
Geonetics, Inc
(617) 896 - 4409

>>> "Michael Smith" <msmith at sanangelompo.org> 11:10:02 AM Tuesday,
January 20, 2004 >>>
Hi all,

I plan on running Mapserver on a Windows 2003 Server running IIS 6.
What
security issues should be considered for running Mapserver since I
assume
many of you are currently hosting Mapserver on your webs.  Does anyone
have
and suggestions, considerations, or web sites with any info on this?

One issue my IT dept. suggested was housing my "data" directory outside
of
my IIS wwwroot folder...is this a security concern?

Michael Smith, Planner II
City of San Angelo
Planning & Development
325.657.4210 Fax: 325.481.2648