[Mapserver-users] simple mapserver configuration

Eric Sokolowsky eric.sokolowsky at gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Jan 20 14:22:38 EST 2004

I am trying to use mapserver as a simple WMS interface into data images
that I already have.  I would prefer to have a very light server that
does not reproject images or convert to different formats.  I tried to
set up mapserver and I got all of the pieces to compile.  The
capabilities is returned as expected.  However, when I try to use a wms
client or a web browser to formulate some queries, all I get is a blank
image.  Is mapserver capable of acting as a very light server?  How can
I use mapserver to serve any image that isn't blank?  My server's
location is listed here, if anyone is interested:

  http://svsdev.gsfc.nasa.gov/esok/cgi-bin/map?

When run locally, mapserv -v returns:

MapServer version 4.0.1 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Here's my map file:

# Start of wms.map file

MAP
  NAME SVS
  EXTENT -180 -90 180 90
  STATUS ON

  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:4326"
  END

  WEB
    IMAGEPATH "/svs/share/data/de/data/"
    METADATA
      "wms_abstract" "This Web Mapping Server is provided by NASA's Scientific Visualization Studio at Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, USA."
      "wms_accessconstraints" "none"
      "wms_fees" "none"
      "wms_onlineresource" "http://svsdev.gsfc.nasa.gov/esok/cgi-bin/map?"
      "wms_title" "NASA GSFC SVS Animation Catalog"
    END
    LOG "/tmp/mapserver.log"
  END

  OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME png
    DRIVER "GD/PNG"
    MIMETYPE "image/png"
    IMAGEMODE RGB
    EXTENSION "png"
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "EARTH_GIF"
    TYPE RASTER
    STATUS ON
    DATA "earth.gif"
    METADATA
      "wms_title" "Earth gif"
      "wms_extent" "-110 -20 -70 20"
      "wms_opaque" "1"
    END
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "EARTH_JPEG"
    TYPE RASTER
    STATUS ON
    DATA "earth.jpeg"
    METADATA
      "wms_title" "Earth jpeg"
      "wms_extent" "-110 -20 -70 20"
    END
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "EARTH_JPG"
    TYPE RASTER
    STATUS ON
    DATA "earth.jpg"
    METADATA
      "wms_title" "Earth jpg"
      "wms_extent" "-110 -20 -70 20"
    END
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "EARTH_PNG"
    TYPE RASTER
    STATUS ON
    DATA "earth.png"
    METADATA
      "wms_title" "Earth png"
      "wms_extent" "-110 -20 -70 20"
    END
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "EARTH_PPM"
    TYPE RASTER
    STATUS ON
    DATA "earth.ppm"
    METADATA
      "wms_title" "Earth ppm"
      "wms_extent" "-110 -20 -70 20"
    END
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "EARTH_RGB"
    TYPE RASTER
    STATUS ON
    DATA "earth.rgb"
    METADATA
      "wms_title" "Earth rgb"
      "wms_extent" "-110 -20 -70 20"
    END
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "EARTH_TIF"
    TYPE RASTER
    STATUS ON
    DATA "earth.tif"
    METADATA
      "wms_title" "Earth tif"
      "wms_extent" "-110 -20 -70 20"
    END
  END

END

--
    ____   __     Eric Sokolowsky    (GST)  NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
   / __/__/_/__  Visualization Programmer    Scientific Visualization Studio