[Mapserver-users] Cascading mapserver

Mathieu Levesque mathieu.levesque at cidco.ca
Tue Jan 20 13:29:16 EST 2004

Hi again,

>>> I assume the log doesn't literally
>>> say "path/to/wmscascade/Images" does it?
>>

>> Of course not. :)
>

> No offence, but there are people who literally transcribe that sort
> of path into mapfiles without realizing they are supposed to customize
> it.

None taken!

>> Is there any way I can see the communications between the "cascading"
>> server and the "originating" server?
>

> I think you can see a bit of information if you run on MapServer
> debugging.
> What I normally do is:
>
>  o comment the two unlinks in mapwmslayer.c out, so the temporary
> files aren't
>    deleted.
>
>  o enabled debugging.  I think there is a debug keyword you can put in
> the
>    .map file.  If you can reproduce problems with shp2img then use the
>    "-all_debug 1" option.
>
>  o Run the whole thing in the debugger stepping through some of the code
>    in mapwmslayer.c.

Thanks, I'll try to see if I can find anything this way.

> I think you were trying to use MapServer as a cascading WMS, right?
> If you
> are having problems with WMS layers I would suggest invoking the
> service at
> the commandline with shp2img instead of via the web.  Once you have
> things
> working smoothly via shp2img, then proceed to WMS invocation of the
> service.

That's the thing, if I go directly to the first WMS server using a
browser, I get everything I want, so that leads me to believe that
server is setup just fine.  It's when I try going through the cascading
server (WMS Client if you prefer) that the problems show up...

Thanks again for everything,

Mathieu

Mathieu Levesque,
Programmeur-Analyste,
Centre Interdisciplinaire de Développement
en Cartographie des Océans (CIDCO),
310, Allée des Ursulines,
Rimouski, QC,
G5L 3A1