[Mapserver-users] Has anyone setup GRASS + Mapserver on Windows 2000 ?

Pericles Nacionales nacional at cbs.umn.edu
Tue Jan 20 17:21:34 EST 2004

Stephen,

If I haven't completely switched to GNU/Linux I probably would have.
Anyway, I can give you an advice if you're planning to go that route.  The
easiest way to do it is to compile everything under cygwin--GRASS,
MapServer, and all the libraries needed (GDAL, PROJ, GD2, etc).  You can
then use apache or IIS servers but make sure to avoid having spaces on
your path names.  So, no "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs".
Instead, install apache directly on "C:\" to get "C:/Apache/htdocs".  I
don't think you have that problem with IIS since the default
directory--"C:\Inetpub\wwwroot"--doesn't contain spaces.  There is also a
version of apache compiled under cygwin.  You can use that instead.

Of course, you can just try compiling libgrass natively on Windows.  Then
you can can try compiling it with GDAL.  If it compiles without problems,
I'd take my "compiling under cygwin is the easiest way" statement back.
The rest is just a matter of finding out how to use GRASS data in
MapServer:
http://lists.gis.umn.edu/pipermail/mapserver-users/2003-April/003454.html

Good luck!
-Perry N.