[Mapserver-users] simple mapserver configuration

Pericles S. Nacionales nacional at cbs.umn.edu
Wed Jan 21 19:51:56 EST 2004

On Wednesday 21 January 2004 03:42 pm, Eric Sokolowsky wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Pericles Nacionales wrote:
> > Eric,
> >
> > I don't know if this is relevant in WMS servers or not but how about
> > adding IMAGEURL in your WEB object?
>
> Okay, done.  Didn't seem to change anything though.
>
> > By the way, does your app generate a
> > map with a standard MapServer CGI url, ie:
> > http://svsdev.gsfc.nasa.gov/esok/cgi-bin/map?map=/path/to/your/mapfile.ma
> >p&layer=EARTH_PNG&mode=map
>
> It generates the following message when I try that:
>
> msDrawMap(): General error message. Image dimensions not specified.
> msCalculateScale(): General error message. Invalid image width or height.
>
> > Another question, did you check that your IMAGEPATH (IMAGEURL) is
> > writeable by your web server's user/owner?
>
> Yes, after reading the documentation a few more times, I got the mapserv
> to write to my error log file.  However, I still see a blank image in my
> WMS client.  It returns an image of the right size, but it is completely
> black.  Here's an example query:
>
> http://svsdev.gsfc.nasa.gov/esok/cgi-bin/map?REQUEST=GetMap&SRS=EPSG:4326&V
>ERSION=1.1.0&FORMAT=image/png&STYLES=default&LAYERS=EARTH_JPEG&BBOX=-110,-20
>,-70,20&WIDTH=512&HEIGHT=512&TRANSPARENT=TRUE
>
> I know that the map file is being obtained correctly because when I issue
> getcapabilities request I get back an xml file with all of the correct
> layers.
>
> Any other suggestions anyone?

Well, I checked your capabilities and it looks fine except that the only LAYER
available is EARTH_PNG.  Presumably you're editing things.  So, the only
other idea I have has to do with recompiling MapServer.  I went back to your
original post and looked at your "./mapserv -v" output.  I noticed you had
GDAL, TIFF, and JPEG as input.  Please turn TIFF and JPEG off (use
"--without-tiff" and "--without-jpeg" when running configure)  if you're
using GDAL.  Or turn GDAL off (--without-gdal) and turn on TIFF and JPEG.

This may or may not have anything to do with your WMS issue but having TIFF
and JPEG input enabled along with GDAL is known to cause problems.

Good luck!
-Perry N.