[Mapserver-users] tip request

Giorgio Plazzotta giorgio.plazzotta at sarasricerche.it
Thu Jan 22 11:53:27 EST 2004

------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C3E110.A3446240

Hi all,
in my application i am not using the legend tool provided with mapserver =
and  i am managing it client side with dhtml and javascript. There is a =
problem caused by the HTTP protocol characteristics that i would like to =
solve. It happens when i have a project with many classes in the legend =
(example 300 classes). Each classes need a small raster file to describe =
how the class is rendered. If the files, though small, are many, the =
hppt protocol require that a connection between the client and the =
server is established everytime so even if the  amount of data to =
transfer is not huge, the time to transfer the hundreds files is not =
acceptable. I think that there can be several different ways to solve it =
but don't know if they will work and which is the best. For example i =
should try to pass only one file containing all the legend symbols but =
then i need a good way to show only a portion of it inside the client =
code. I could also load the files only when they are needed so =
posticipating and segmenting the load. I don't want to use client =
technologie that are not already embedded in the default browser =
(explorer) so no plug in, activex and so on. Probably some of you have a =
good tip about it. thanx in advance

Giorgio Plazzotta
Saras Ricerche=20
Assemini (CA) - Italy

------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C3E110.A3446240

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>in my&nbsp;application&nbsp;i am not =
using the=20
legend tool provided with mapserver and&nbsp; i am managing it client =
side with=20
dhtml and javascript. There is a problem caused by the HTTP protocol=20
characteristics that i would like to solve. It happens when i have a =
project=20
with many classes in the legend (example 300 classes). Each classes need =
a small=20
raster file to describe how the class is rendered. If the files, though =
small,=20
are many, the hppt protocol require that a connection between the client =
and the=20
server is established everytime so even if the&nbsp; amount of data to =
transfer=20
is not huge, the time to transfer the hundreds files is not acceptable. =
I think=20
that there can be several different ways to solve it but don't know if =
they will=20
work and which is the best. For example i should try to pass only one =
file=20
containing all the legend symbols but then i need a good way to show =
only a=20
portion of it inside the client code. I could also load the files only =
when they=20
are needed so posticipating and segmenting the load. I don't want to use =
client=20
technologie that are not already embedded in the default browser =
(explorer) so=20
no plug in, activex and so on. Probably some of you have a good tip =
about it.=20
thanx in advance</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Giorgio Plazzotta</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Saras Ricerche </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Assemini (CA) - Italy</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A9_01C3E110.A3446240--