[Mapserver-users] java

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Jan 22 13:34:55 EST 2004

Hi Grant: There have been several posts recently talking about taking xy
coordinates from a database and plotting them. I believe there was even
sample code posted. Check the archives. You may also want to consider
PostGIS.

If you can, I think periodically moving from the database to a
shapefile is a great way to go. For one thing it allows you to use the
standard MapServer CGI, and is also probably faster. Depends on the data
though and how often it changes. MapScript combined with perl or python
is a great tool to create shapefiles from whatever.

Steve

>>> "Grant Marblestone" <grantm at atser.com> 1/21/2004 3:45:03 PM >>>
Is there any way to create shpfiles dynamically from a sql server
database
without sde?  Or basically just have fields x, y in the database and
show
them on a map?

Thanks,

Grant