[Mapserver-users] WMS metadata and .wld files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 22 15:33:28 EST 2004

Eric Sokolowsky wrote:
> I have been able to compile and run mapserv as a WMS server for images.
> It was necessary to include .wld files for each of the layers that I
> serve.  But is it supported to get the geo-referencing metadata from the
> wms_extent field instead of the external .wld file?  My guess is that it
> is not.  Is somebody adding this ability?  If not, then I would like
> to add it and submit the changes back to the mapserver maintainers for
> everybody's use.
>
> I am using mapserver 4.0.1 on Red Hat Linux 9.

Eric,

I don't know if you got other response to this, but I think it is a good
idea.  It might be a fair amount of work to add it everywhere, but it would
be a good start to incorporate it for files read via the GDAL raster reading.
I would suggest looking in the area of GADLReadWorldFile() in mapraster.c and
mapdrawgdal.c.

If you prepare updates to accomplish this (please develop them against the
CVS version of mapserver if at all possible) and submit them in Bugzilla
assigned to me I will try and incorporate them.

Best regards,