[Mapserver-users] Configure Error

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jan 22 18:24:04 EST 2004

Keith Campbell wrote:

> I'm sure this is basic stuff to most of you. i'm trying to install
> MapServer on Solaris. When running the configure, i get the following:-
> 'configure: error: Could not find gd.h or libgd.a/libgd.so in
> /export/home/local/
> util/gd-2.0.15. Make sure GD 2.0.12 or higher is compiled before calling
> configure.'
> I've not been responsible for the GD install, but I'm assuming that
> because neither libgd.a nor libgd.so is in the
> /export/home/local/util/gd-2.0.15 directory that GD has not been
> compiled. Am I right? How can I tell if it is? There's loads of other
> files in the directory, but presumably the presence of one in particualr
> will tell me if GD has been compiled.

Is there any reason why you could not (or did not) do a 'make install'
in your GD directory to install the GD files in /usr/local/lib?

If you can do that, then that's the best option: run 'make install' in
the GD directory, then use --with-gd=/usr/local when you configure
MapServer. Note that the same applies to all MapServer's support libraries.

  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca