[Mapserver-users] GDAL, TIFF, JPEG Question

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 23 10:41:58 EST 2004

Pericles S. Nacionales wrote:
> What exactly are the problems that come up when TIFF and JPEG libs are
> compiled together with GDAL?  I know MapServer gets confused when reading
> TIFF/GeoTIFF images.  Are there others?

Peri,

The built-in TIFF support does not work well for some kinds of TIFF files.
For instance, tiled files and RGB TIFF files don't work with the built-in
mapserver code.

My suggestion is that we modify the MapServer configuration scripts so that
by default if GDAL support is enabled that built-in TIFF and JPEG support
will be disabled.  There isn't really any significant advantage to them
except when people are building "light" versions of mapserver without GDAL.

Any objections to my making that change folks?

Best regards,