[Mapserver-users] GDAL, TIFF, JPEG Question

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 23 10:31:28 EST 2004

Eduardo Patto Kanegae wrote:
> Hi perry,
>
> this a very good comment....
>
> I've just compiled one that gets:
>
> MapServer version 4.0.1 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
> OUTPUT=PDF SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
> SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
> SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT INPUT=TIFF
> INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE
>
> and had never stop to think about that TIFF and JPEG support can be replaced by GDAL....
>
> you mean that MapServer can be a bigger or more "fat" binany if I use GDAL with TIFF and JPEG?

Eduardo,

Normally having JPEG and TIFF built into mapserver as well as available in
GDAL doesn't make things much bigger if they share external libjpeg and
libgeotiff shared libraries.  The main reason to avoid the internal versions
of the TIFF and JPEG support in mapserver is that they are less featureful
than the support via GDAL.

However, I haven't pushed to strip them out of mapserver because a mapserver
without GDAL is *much* lighter than one with it, and that may be important to
some users.

Best regards,