[Mapserver-users] speeding up large shapefiles

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 25 07:50:15 EST 2004

Hi list,

I saw a few posts from early 2003 about speeding up large shapefiles, but
never found any conclusions on the subject.

I have a question with regard to speeding up large shapefiles:

would it make sense to split up my large (350 Mb) shapefile in tiles, and
then use an OGR tileindex on the tiles (with quadtree indexes on both
tileindex and tiles)? If so, can anything be said about an ideal tile size
in Mb, or is this too much dependent on the data?

Ofcourse this will also be dependent on the area I am displaying with my
shapefile, and the maximum area a user can get displayed (by using the
MINSCALE/MAXSCALE settings in my MAP file).

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Best regards,
Bart