[Mapserver-users] speeding up large shapefiles

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Jan 25 08:34:43 EST 2004

Bart,

This would definitely help. There is an OpenSource utility to assist
in the tiling at http://imaptools.com/?tab=4 called shp2tile it has a
lot of options to help tile the shpfile using different algorithms.

If you tile the results into a directory like tiledir then you can
run on linux:

find tiledir -name "*.shp" -exec shptree {} \;
find tiledir -name "*.shp" > tiledir.in
tile4ms tiledir.in tiledir-tile
shptree tiledir-tile

To create spatial indexes and to create the tile index.

As far as size of each tile, you are correct that there are a lot of
variables involved. Because of the file system cache that most modern
OSs have, you do not want to make the files too small as it will cost
you more to open/close a lot of files than it will cost you to read
some extra data into the file system cache.

Also, if you have LOTS of attributes in your dbf file that you do not
need for rendering then you might want to think about thinning these
down to what you do need so you have to do less disk IO to read your
attributes when rendering your maps.

-Steve Woodbridge