[Mapserver-users] error when querying some postgis layers - broken pipe

Paul Hasenohr paul.hasenohr at jrc.it
Tue Jan 27 12:42:34 EST 2004

Hello,

I am running mapserver under windows xp and postgresql 7.2.3 + postgis
0.7.(4 or 5) under redhat 7.2.
I want to access several tables (lines and polygons) from the same database.
For most of the tables, I have not any problem, it just works fine
regardless the number of lines or polygons I want to display (according to
the scale of my map).
But for a few tables, I can only display the vectors when they are requested
on a very small area.

I had a look at the postgresql serverlog and here is the error message
together with the query sent by mapserver (+gmapfactory):
DEBUG:  ProcessUtility: BEGIN
DEBUG:  query: DECLARE mycursor BINARY CURSOR FOR SELECT
asbinary(force_collection(force_2d(geom)),'NDR'),id::text from (select *
from polbnda_area) as foo WHERE geom && setSRID('BOX3D(-7.95660138889
41.8340833333,3.93160138889 50.7491666667)'::BOX3D,
find_srid('','polbnda_area','geom') )
DEBUG:  query: select SRID from geometry_columns where f_table_schema like
$1 || '%' and f_table_name = $2 and f_geometry_column = $3
DEBUG:  query: FETCH ALL in mycursor
DEBUG:  ProcessUtility: FETCH ALL in mycursor
DEBUG:  pq_flush: send() failed: Broken pipe

When I execute the SELECT statement directly on the psql console, it works
fine.

I thought that it could be due to a too high number of vectors selected (300
for the table that doesn't work) but it works fine when I select (via
Mapserver) 30000 records in an other table of the same database to display
them.

All tables have a GIST index built as well as an oid index.

Have you any suggestion ?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
Paul Hasenohr