[Mapserver-users] Q: Dynamic Legends

Martin, Daniel A Daniel.A.Martin at erac.com
Thu Jan 29 16:02:57 EST 2004

I do exactly the same thing.  The way I do it, I have two layers
pointing at the same data.  One has only the highway class, and the
other has all street types.  But, here's the trick.  Name both layers
the SAME exact name.  Now, have the range set where the minscale of the
highway layer is the maxscale of the detailed street layer.

As the user zooms in and out, MapServer will naturally transition from
highways to detailed streets.  However, the legend will show exactly
what you are asking for.  And, by naming both layers the same name, the
status (on/off) will carry over as the user zooms.  If the highway layer
was on, the street layer will also be on when the user zooms in.

I know it may sound strange, but I promise it works beautifully.

-Dan