[Mapserver-users] Q: Dynamic Legends

Jean-Henry Berevoescu bjh at globexplorer.com
Thu Jan 29 16:33:50 EST 2004

Yes and no. Actually in your scenario I still will have some unsolved
issues.
For example: let's say that at a certain scale, all the layers are to be
shown
so I can have Drives, Places, Streets, Roads, Highways and so on - but on
the actual map in the actual area it happens to be a wasteland with only a
Road in it. In this case what one would expect from a classical map would be
to only see that symbol - the symbol of the Road type of streets. See
what I mean?
Maybe the Streets example is not the best for the problem we have here.
Say, a vegetation zones map. One can have, say, 25 types of vegetation.
At a certain
point and at a certain scale, on the map will only be 3 types. No matter how
one will play with layering, this is not exactly a scale-related
problem, but
data-related problem. "Does the map shows now forest and grassland now? Then
the legend should not present all the possible vegetation types".

Thanks for your answer,
Jean