[Mapserver-users] I have some landsat 7 data that I want to tile : overlap + transparency

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 30 18:25:31 EST 2004

Stephen Clark wrote:
> There is a residual amount of black fuzziness around the scenes after using
> the above OFFSITE command.

Stephen,

That is pretty much inevitable if you use ECW.  Lossy compression formats
will not maintain nodata areas cleanly.

> Here is a LAYER file for the tiled index of Landsat scenes:
>
> LAYER
>   NAME landsat_tile
>   TILEINDEX "d:/datasets/imagery/landsat/landsat_index.shp"
>   TILEITEM "location"
>   TYPE RASTER
>   STATUS ON
>   TRANSPARENCY 60
>
>   # turn off the black background in the image files
>   OFFSITE 0 0 0
>
>   METADATA
>     WMS_TITLE "Lansdat 7 Imagery "
>     WMS_ABSTRACT "N/A"
>     WMS_SRS "EPSG:26910"
>   END
>
> END
>
> But this tiled layer does not have any transparency.  How would I fix this?

Are you saying you don't think the "TRANSPARENCY 60" had any effect or that
offsite areas don't come through in the result as transparent?  Does it work
if the layer has only a single file instead of using a TILEINDEX?

Best regards,