[Mapserver-users] Projection Systems question

David Fawcett David.Fawcett at state.mn.us
Sat Jan 31 09:29:27 EST 2004

I should add that I got the extent values by running shpinfo on the
shape file.

David J. Fawcett
MN Office of Environmental Assistance
>>> "David Fawcett" <David.Fawcett at state.mn.us> 01/30/04 5:04 PM >>>
Amit, List:

I played with the data and the mapfile.  I was able to reproduce what
Amit was seeing, and display all of the points in the .shp.  I figured
out how to control the issue, but I am not sure of the root cause.

I modified the MAP file to improve symbology and add a label.  When I
called the map using URL
'http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/ms4/mapserv.exe?map=c%3A%5Capache%5Chtdocs%5Camittest%5Ctest.map&mode=map'
one point displays, with a label, it is identified as TREEID 431 which
is locate in the south west region of the extent.   This isn't what I
expected to see, but it reproduces what Amit was seeing.  The point
wasn't noise, but an actual point from the .shp.

When I added a MINSCALE of 1000000to the WEB object, I can see all of
the points in the shp.

I therefore assume that there is some issue with the extent in the MAP
file and the MINSCALE  is preventing it from zooming too far.

Ed, can you shed some light on this?

I have attached images of the two conditions that I have described.

David.

Here is the MAP file____________________________

MAP
  NAME test
  IMAGETYPE PNG
  STATUS ON
  EXTENT         385538 3761010 391329 3764477
  UNITS METERS
  SIZE           400 400
  SHAPEPATH      "c:\apache\htdocs\amittest\data"
  FONTSET symbols/fonts/fonts.list
  WEB
    IMAGEPATH "c:\Apache\htdocs\tmp\"
    IMAGEURL "/tmp/"
    #MINSCALE 100000         #with this enabled, produces image with all
points
    #MAXSCALE 15500000       #see 'with_scale_restrictions.png'
  END

  # Start of symbol definition
#
SYMBOL