[Mapserver-users] DRGs in MapServer

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Thu Jul 1 09:52:10 EDT 2004

Steve -

I've got over 59,000 DRGs loaded and served by MapServer at
www.topozone.com (along with over a quarter of a million aerial photos
and several other data types).  MapServer handles them just fine through
its TILEINDEX mechanism, by which many different raster (or vector)
files can be combined into one single logical layer.

We also provide this data to customers through ArcIMS and OGC WMS
interfaces, so if you're interested in going that route (we host and
serve the images for you), please contact me off-list.

Otherwise, you should have no trouble using MapServer doing what you
want.  There's no "redefinition" of layers involved, beause the one
layer that uses a TILEINDEX tells MapServer to consult the TILEINDEX
file - a table of polygons describing the outlines of each of the
individual raster files - and use that to calculate which raster images
are needed for any image request.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker