[Mapserver-users] Making the MapFile Reference Document even more useful...

Pericles S. Nacionales nacional at cbs.umn.edu
Fri Jul 2 15:07:20 EDT 2004

Hi!  I personally think that having the examples right on the reference
document would make it even busier than it already is.  However, a
redesign of the reference document, breaking it down into multiple pages
(i.e. MAP, WEB, PROJECTION, LAYER, etc)) might help.  That's not a
simple task though.

There are already documents that shows lots of examples of mapfile
usage...  Once Tyler Mitchell and Jeff McKenna's vector data howto (see
http://www.omsug.ca/dl/osgis2004/MsTutorialGuide.doc) is added on the
documentation page, we would have a pretty broad range of mapfile
examples.  The MapServer tutorial at
http://terrasip.gis.umn.edu/projects/tutorial also goes through basic
mapfile object/keyword usage (See Section 1) although it's getting a bit
dated and need serious updating.  So, if anyone would like to help
there, send me an e-mail.

I guess your second suggestion--links to documents that provide
examples--would not be a bad idea.  At least for now.  By the way, I'm
CC-ing the mapserver-docs list.  You might want to consider subscribing
to that list as well.

-Perry