[Mapserver-users] Building MapServer for Max OS X (10.3)

William K woklist at charter.net
Wed Jul 7 12:34:51 EDT 2004

I've been using MS (no, not M$ ^_^) on OSX for a while.  Currently MS
4.2, MOSX 10.3.4.  It's now a lot simpler than Wheaton's instructions
(same dependencies, but less patching).  I agree with Kenichi to avoid
Fink mostly.  Some of the basic stuff can be used (graphics libs), but
the important parts can be problematic with Fink.

Anyways, the biggest problem is GDAL.  GDAL + libgrass, that is.  This
is needed to use GRASS raster data directly.  You can build GDAL with
libgrass just fine, but then I've never been able to build GRASS itself
with a GDAL+libgrass.  What I do is build a static GDAL+libgrass
outside the normal library paths, just to use for MS, and a 'normal'
GDAL to be used with GRASS.  Another problem then is that the last GDAL
I was able to build static + libgrass was 1.1.9.  The upshot is that if
you don't need to use GRASS rasters with MS, it's easy, otherwise it's
a headache.

I've been meaning to add a MapServer building page to go along with my
GRASS page.  Much of the GRASS stuff applies to MS also, so you can
take a look if you like:

<http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/macosx/index.html>

Of interest to MS are the graphics libs, proj, geotiff and GDAL.
Additional requirements would be GD, PHP, PostGIS.

I'll see what I can do about adding MapServer stuff this week.