[Mapserver-users] [Fwd: Re:performance information - how to (ArcIMS vs. Mapserver)]

Jerl Simpson jerl.simpson at rkiq.com
Tue Jul 20 09:18:50 EDT 2004

Hello,

I am forwarding this on for Michael, he seems to be having trouble
sending to the list.

Jerl -  if you would be so kind as to send this on to the list, my
messages keep getting bounced for some reason...Thanks - Mike

Kind of along the same lines as Jerl's email...

We recently received a copy of ArcIMS 9 in the mail (Don't know where it
came from, I think ESRI sent it out on a whim) and discovered that we do
in fact have a license.  We are currently running Mapserver on our
production server and I am interested in configuring an ArcIMS service
with similar features to do some performance comparisons.  (They will be
running under win2K)

I have done some ArcIMS hacking in the past, so I think I can get the
service configured, but I need help devising some tests to compare the
two.  Does anyone know what types of software, hardware, etc... are
useful for stress testing?  I am interested in being able to create
those lovely little graphs (and the numbers behind them) showing how the
two scale.  Here are the tests I have come up with so far.

Basic vector maps. 1->n layers

Raster maps. 1->n layers

Combo vector/raster maps. 1->n layers

Feature Query results.

I am not eager to start toying too much with my production box so I will
probably have to configure a spare server for both and test one at a
time.  This will probably take longer, but I will know the set-ups are
identical.  Has anyone run both on the same server before?

I plan on initially using shapefiles and geo-tiffs (or .ecw if ArcIMS
can play ball), and expanding into joined layers and/or SDE later on.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Mike Davis
GIS Analyst
Fort Richardson, AK

Mike Davis