[Mapserver-users] architecture mapsserver/ jbox

Richard Greenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Tue Jun 1 09:43:57 EDT 2004

Sébastien DUBOIS wrote:

> what's the architecture of jbox in fact?
> we're agree that with have an applet java.
>
> is it possible to interface this with a servlet serveur such tomcat?

jBox runs entirely on the client (browser). jBox uses Liveconnect to
allow communication between client-side javascript and the Java applet.

> in other words , can i code (with such a tool as phpmapscript??) such that when
> I right click on my applet a list of choice appears.

At this time, jBox does not distinguish between right and left mouse
clicks. Phpmapscript runs on the server, so I am not clear on how that
would work.

> is there an api, library?

Yes. The only formal documentation is in the HOWTO on the mapserver
doc's page. There are also a lot of comments in the Java source.

> how communicate jbox when i select some points.
> is there a call to the shape file on the server? the architecture is not very
> clear for me...

Primarily jBox was designed just to provide the screen coordinates of a
rectangle defined by a user's mouse drag. Depending on mode (browse or
query) mapserver will use the rectangle coordinates to zoom or do a
spatial query.

--
Richard Greenwood
www.greenwoodmap.com