[Mapserver-users] GDAL - How do I know if Mapserver is picking this up?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jun 15 12:30:23 EDT 2004

Trent Burton wrote:
> I cannot seem to be able to view any rasters through Mapserver.  I have
> downloaded Openev, and it seems to be installed properly.  Does GDAL
> have to be configured in some way with Mapserver?  How is this done?
> How can I verify that my Mapserver is able to show rasters?  My mapserv
> -v shows INPUT=GDAL.

Trent,

If you see INPUT=GDAL and you are getting as far as mapserv -v working then
you are picking up "a" GDAL.  Not necessarily the one you expect.  I normally
use ldd on linux or "depends.exe" on windows to determine what shared library
or DLL is actually getting used though it is hard to know what is happening
in the different environment when run under the web server.

The other issue is whether mapserver is using it's built-in GDAL support or
some other internal raster driver for a particular file.  If you also have
INPUT=TIFF and you are working with a TIFF file then you may run into problems.
I believe MapServer 4.2 will only use the built-in TIFF driver if there is no
GDAL support available.  Older MapServers use other rules.

Does shp2img work?  Have you tried enabling all the debugging you can?
I would encourage you to review the "DebugginMapServer" topic:

   http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DebuggingMapserver

Best regards,