[Mapserver-users] Viruses on the list

Tyler Mitchell tjmitchell at riverside.bc.ca
Tue Jun 15 12:37:59 EDT 2004

I did a quick check on the mailing list archives while I was away last
week and, lo and behold, I found an email from myself on the list!  What?
I didn't write anything.

Looking at the email I realized that it APPEARED to be from me but really
wasn't.  Someone who is subscribed to the list is probably infected with a
virus and the virus is sending email spoofing other peoples' email address
as the source/reply-to address.

I know of others who are having this happen to their addresses too.  The
moral of the story - we really are not putting virus-infected messages up
on the list for your viewing pleasure :)    As a rule of thumb, most of us
never send attachments to the list, so even if you trust us (yeah right)
don't open our attachments without contacting us directly to confirm.

I hope UMN can come up with a virus filtering solution!!

Tyler