[Mapserver-users] Can binary release of MapServer 4.0 for Windows able to manage ECW raster files?

Mario Servin mservin at tecnoaccion.com.ar
Mon Mar 1 07:34:50 EST 2004

Dear Yewondwossen,
    Thanks for your answer. I follow your suggestion and could successfully
display ECW files .After my experience I must set some points about
MapServer and ECW files:
1- It's official: binary release of MapServer version 4.0 DOES NOT SUPPORT
ECW input files. You are absolutely right, I downloaded version 4.1 from the
site you suggest me and I could display my ECW input files.
2- I was not without some additional effort. : ECW input files DO NOT USE
ANY WORLD FILE. So, if you (as I had) use ECW files not themselves
georeferenced you will be in troubles, the file is displayed but not in the
right place you want. Fortunately there is a free tool from ErMapper (ECW
Header Editor
http://www.ermapper.com/download_new/download_view.aspx?PRODUCT_VERSION_ID=192)
for modifying the header of an ECW file. With this tool we can make the file
a self georeferenced ECW file and then it is possible to use it as other
raster input files.
    Again thanks a lot and regards,
                                                Mario