[Mapserver-users] Error in TIGER to shp conversion !!!!

Dharani Babu dharanibabus at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 1 07:48:51 EST 2004

Daniel
Thanks for that . ur replies are helping me progress
I tried this way

ogr2ogr -f -skipfailures "ESRI Shapefiles" "d:/maps/OpenEV/bin/shp"
"c:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/data/rm"
Then I got the following error
"Unable to open data source "d:/maps/OpenEV/bin/shp" with following drivers
"
Then I removed the -skipfailures option and it said
"error on translating landmarks " " Attempt to translate non geometrical
features " ...this is the same error I faced already . I think i am missing
the way I have to use the -skipfailures option . So now I tried to translate
all the layers one by one
So I tried this way
ogr2ogr -f -skipfailures "ESRI Shapefiles" "d:/maps/OpenEV/bin/shp"
"c:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/data/rm" CompleteChain
ogr2ogr -f -skipfailures "ESRI Shapefiles" "d:/maps/OpenEV/bin/shp"
"c:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/data/rm" AltNames
ogr2ogr -f -skipfailures "ESRI Shapefiles" "d:/maps/OpenEV/bin/shp"
"c:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/data/rm" FeatureIds
ogr2ogr -f -skipfailures "ESRI Shapefiles" "d:/maps/OpenEV/bin/shp"
"c:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/data/rm" ZipCodes
ogr2ogr -f -skipfailures "ESRI Shapefiles" "d:/maps/OpenEV/bin/shp"
"c:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/data/rm" Polygon
ogr2ogr -f -skipfailures "ESRI Shapefiles" "d:/maps/OpenEV/bin/shp"
"c:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/data/rm" IDHistory
etc
But I got the same errors when I tried to translate the following
ogr2ogr -f -skipfailures "ESRI Shapefiles" "d:/maps/OpenEV/bin/shp"
"c:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/data/rm" landmarks
ogr2ogr -f -skipfailures "ESRI Shapefiles" "d:/maps/OpenEV/bin/shp"
"c:/ms4w/apache/htdocs/data/rm" EntityNames
Whats wrong with the Landmarks , EntityNames layers ?
I also understand that the features with geometry ( Point ...line ) have
*.shp files and the features without geometry have no .shp files at all . so
I also understood the features with geo metry only can be added as MAP file
LAYERS right ?  or am I missing something ?
Please correct me . help me why I am facing this error ...could u please
show me any sample MAP Files that have used TIGER translated Shape files for
rendering with template html ?

with regards and thanks in advance

dharani