[Mapserver-users] Projection issue...

Jason M. Nielsen jnielsen at aero-graphics.com
Tue Mar 2 16:50:08 EST 2004

Quoting Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>:

> Jason M. Nielsen wrote:
> > Anyone see anything wrong with the following?
> >
> > As far as I can tell the rest of the map file etc is ok. I pushed this all
> over
> > into the itasca demo to try and debug what I have goofy.  All I am getting
> is a
> > black area as if I have an extents problem.
> >
> > TIA
> Jason,
>
> Well, this stuff from ogrinfo about it being transverse mercator is clearly
> wrong.  Perhaps someone dumped an improper .prj file with the dataset?
> But
> I don't think this is related to your issues.
>
> Your mapfile seems to have the X and Y values switched.  Shouldn't
> your extents be "xmin ymin xmax ymax"?
>
> EXTENT -112.8 40.1 -111.4 40.6

Yah I have determined the coordinate system must be incorrect only due to
searching through the epsg file. I am a computer grunt not a gis person etc so
until after banging my head against this for a long time did I finally come to
this realization.

With regard to the extents bass ackwards.. That was it!  Thank you!  Soon as I
read your post my head hit my desk then my hand my forehead repeatedly.  I think
I could hear someone going "DOH!".

Thanks!