[Mapserver-users] Re: thanks {Scanned}

Siki Zoltan siki at agt.bme.hu
Thu Mar 11 05:20:20 EST 2004

Hi,

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Pramila R Gawas wrote:

> Hi
> Thanks a lot for answering my queries
> First thing is that i tried sending my queries to users mailing list,
> but i didn't get any reply from any  member except you.

Again, please cc your mail to the list, someone else can have the same
problem. He/she can learn from our conversation.

> I have installed mapserver in solaris system.
> I download mapserver demo 'itasca' from mapserver official site. I saved
> the demo file in my user directory.
> I made following changes in * demo_init.html* file
>
> <form method=GET action="/cgi-bin/mapserv">
> <input type="hidden" name="map"
> value="/user/xyz/mapserver_demos/itasca/demo.map">
>
> <input type="hidden" name="program" value="/cgi-bin/mapserv">
> <input type="hidden" name="map_web_imagepath" value=" /user/xyz/tmp//">
> <input type="hidden" name="map_web_imageurl" value=
> "http://localhost/~xyz/tmp/" <http://localhost/%7Exyz/tmp/> >
> <http://localhost/%7Exyz/tmp/> >
>
> *demo.map * file
> WMS_ONLINERESOURCE
> "http://localhost/user/xyz/mapserver_demos/itasca/demo_init.htm"
> <http://localhost/user/xyz/mapserver_demos/itasca/demo_init.htm>
>
> when i try to run the link
> http://localhost/mapserver_demos/itasca/demo_init.html    in browser
>
> i am getting the error message :
> The requested URL /mapserver_demos/itasca/demo_init.html was not found
> on this server.
> XYZ is my user name, & mydemo files are in /user/xyz.
> do i have to save demo files in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs  ... this
> directory is accessible only to root user.

apache server search for files under the DocumentRoot directory. It cannot
access the whole directory tree. You should check httpd.conf. You can find
a line DocumentRoot and a directory path. You should copy your map,
template and data files there. Probably you will be in trouble because of
gif images. To use itasca demo you should convert the gifs to pngs.
See the list archive about this.

You shouls be careful about the access right to the file under the
DocumentRoot. You must set read access on the demo files for the world
(everybody), and you must add read/write access to the tmp directory to
the apache user (this is usually the user what right are used by the
web server).
Be careful. some path are absolute (e.g. IMAGEPATHi, MAPB) and some are
relative to th DocumentRoot (e.g. IMAGEURL)!

Bye
Zoltan