[Mapserver-users] connection pooling

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 16 10:28:27 EST 2004

Stender, Amy ERDC-CRREL-NH wrote:
> Could someone please explain connection pooling to me? I have a mapfile
> with *many* OGR (s57) connections and the map takes a really long time
> to load. I want it to be snappy. Any ideas?

Amy,

Currently there is no support for keeping an OGR dataset open between layer
renders.  The net result is that the file is re-read for each layer you
want to render.  The connection pooling concept has not been extended to
OGR connections yet.  In fact, I might handle it via a different mechanism.

For now, if you want fast performance, I would encourage you to just convert
the layers you need to shapefiles, or load them into PostGIS.

Best regards,