[Mapserver-users] connection pooling

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Tue Mar 16 11:17:04 EST 2004

Stender, Amy ERDC-CRREL-NH wrote:

> Could someone please explain connection pooling to me? I have a mapfile
> with *many* OGR (s57) connections and the map takes a really long time
> to load. I want it to be snappy. Any ideas?

I'm afraid connection pooling takes only place for databases, and AFAIK
is implemented only for SDE databases at this moment. Moreover, it only
pools the original connection to the database, not the actual generation
of the maps: these are still generated sequentially. I don't think the
OGR database extensions pool their original connections, but even so
generating many layers will always take lots of time. If you *really*
need to load many layers from a single MapServer call, the only solution
is to use multiple servers (e.g. via WMS).

Jan