[Mapserver-users] connection pooling

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Wed Mar 17 09:46:57 EST 2004

David Mitchell wrote:

> So this means there is no connection pooling support for postgis?

I haven't checked the latest CVS version, but at the beginning of this
year the connection pooling mechanism had not yet been extended to
PostGIS. It doesn't matter very much however, as connection pooling
gives practically no performance gain here. PostgreSQL is very efficient
in connecting to a database, so the difference between creating a
connection for every layer or just connecting once for the whole mapfile
is very small. It would be nice if connection pooling would be
implemented for PostGIS (it's only a dozen lines or so), but it is not
essential at all. Yet, unless there are drawbacks I don't know about,
perhaps someone from Refractions could file a bug, to remind them of it
on a rainy day with nothing else to do.

It is different for SDE and Oracle. SDE has been done by Steve Lime last
year, resulting in real performance gain, as I heard. For Oracle it
would be a really important addition. I don't know if there are people
working on the Oracle interface at the moment (I vaguely remember having
read that they had gone AWOL). If they have returned, I would be happy
to assist.

BTW: connection pooling is not as important for databases as for static
maps. With a database, you don't have to return separate layers, you can
also return information in a single layer, dynamically produced by a
subquery.

Jan

Jan