[Mapserver-users] Just call me a newbie . . . multiple Raster LAYERs question {Scanned} {Scanned}

Bob Basques bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Thu Mar 18 11:01:06 EST 2004

Ed McNierney wrote:

> Bob -
>
> You can use GDAL to create TIFF overviews and produce the same effect
> (multiple resolutions stored in one file) without the expense or
> overhead of MrSID.  Your performance should be essentially identical
> to using the multiple-LAYER approach.

I already have systems for generating the seperate tiles at each Level
of resolution.

The ranges are fairly extreme for the number of tiles per resolution level.

9000+ tiles at 1/2 foot per pixel
down to
~16 tiles at 16 feet per pixel

I'm not sure how the performance can be increased at the server
(intranet installation, which typically means optimizing the server vs
the file transfers) using a combined lookup of some sort.

bobb