[Mapserver-users] Just call me a newbie . . . multiple Raster LAYERs question {Scanned} {Scanned}

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Thu Mar 18 11:22:41 EST 2004

Bob -

I'm surprised that you report bad experiences with TIFF imagery.  In
many respects, TIFF is the best uncompressed format to use for imagery.
I've got about 21 terabytes of it, all running under MapServer.

If you already have the data generated at multiple resolutions then I
don't think the GDAL approach will help much.  It really is simply a
different way of doing the same thing - prebuild the data at multiple
resolutions and preselect the most appropriate source.

GDAL has the benefit of storing the entire image pyramid in one TIFF
file, which makes file management and mapfile management easier, and it
also automatically chooses the best source resolution for each request,
so you don't need to calculate MINSCALE/MAXSCALE values.

The disadvantages are less flexibility in the resampling options (you
can choose from several GDAL algorithms, but you have to choose one of
them), inability to use externally-resampled images, files that are less
suitable for redistribution to others because they're larger (may or may
not be important), and less flexibility in adding/deleting resampled
levels.

But either way, TIFF images should be an excellent choice for storing
imagery.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker