[Mapserver-users] Just call me a newbie . . . multiple Raster LAYERs question {Scanned} {Scanned}

blammo blammo at airstreamcomm.net
Thu Mar 18 12:00:25 EST 2004

Ed McNierney wrote:

>Bob -
>
>I'm surprised that you report bad experiences with TIFF imagery.  In
>many respects, TIFF is the best uncompressed format to use for imagery.
>I've got about 21 terabytes of it, all running under MapServer.

I don't have quite that much (yet) to distribute, only around 100 gig's
right now, more coming in every daua though it seems :c)

>If you already have the data generated at multiple resolutions then I
>don't think the GDAL approach will help much.  It really is simply a
>different way of doing the same thing - prebuild the data at multiple
>resolutions and preselect the most appropriate source.

I have multiple LAYERS (20 so far) that all use the same resoltuion
scheming process, so it very easy to program against, especially for
optimized applications.

>GDAL has the benefit of storing the entire image pyramid in one TIFF
>file, which makes file management and mapfile management easier, and it
>also automatically chooses the best source resolution for each request,
>so you don't need to calculate MINSCALE/MAXSCALE values.

I had though about using MapServer at some point as a strictly Image
generation engine with somew sort of storage scheme  (like the pyramid)
to store things on the server side.  Still investigating things at this
point,  all of the suggestions are being considered.

>The disadvantages are less flexibility in the resampling options (you
>can choose from several GDAL algorithms, but you have to choose one of
>them), inability to use externally-resampled images, files that are less
>suitable for redistribution to others because they're larger (may or may
>not be important), and less flexibility in adding/deleting resampled
>levels.

I do like having the ability to forego MapServer entirely (many of our
existing services only have a ~100 line PERL cgi to run the outputs
with, with no (Map) server like piece in the way. All the tiles are
pre-processed, and the CGI simply positions them in the browser
appropriately with DHTML

>But either way, TIFF images should be an excellent choice for storing
>imagery.

I also have some RASTER version of line work that I'm not convinced
would work well as TIFF's Especially the transparent aspects and control
options, like those available for PNGs for example.

Here is a simple interface (production I'm embarrassed to admit) that
show a couple of these layers in action (without Mapserver at the moment):

http://pwultra5.ci.stpaul.mn.us/cgi-bin/drill/ped.02.pl?bbox=562820.444444444%2C152375.333333333%2C564332.444444444%2C153527.333333333&size=756%2C576&pick.x=542&pick.y=349

It's key benefit is that it is very, very easy to manage since it's just
a set of files on the server, and a single CGI script that make the
page.  It doesn't even have a zoom out function applied to it yet, but
everyone likes the resource for reference lookups.  It's also tied into
a couple of Address lookup routines as well.

Balancing something like this against learning MapServer (or any other
service type package) is a tricky piece of the equation in my mind.  The
advanced functions available with MapServer allow for a lot of end user
enhancement in my mind.  That's why I'm moving many of these services
over to MapServer.

bobb