[Mapserver-users] PROJ question

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 22 11:03:32 EST 2004

Jonathan Meyers wrote:
> I have mapserver running on a shared host (I have no access to the
> environment variables).
>
> I need to be able to use proj.dll in a directory other than c:\proj...
>
> ...so I need to change the PROJ_LIB variable
>
> My question: do I need to recompile the proj source code, the mapserver
> source code or both??

Jonathan,

The DLL isn't a big issue because you can just copy it to whereever your
mapserv.exe is and it will be found.  But there can be an issue of how
PROJ.4 support information files (such as the epsg list, and datum shift
files) are found.  Normally they are found in C:\PROJ\NAD or their location
is indicated with the PROJ_LIB environment variable.

If you need to change the default location (because you can't set PROJ_LIB)
then you would need to recompile the PROJ.DLL.  Set the PROJ_LIB_DIR
macro in the src/makefile.vc file in the PROJ.4 distribution before rebuilding.

In the future you will be able to just add a line like 'CONFIG PROJ_LIB "D:\PROJ"'
in the .map file as recent changes I made in CVS roll out into use.

Best regards,