[FMG-SPAM] - Re: [Mapserver-users] reducing RGB maps to 8bit - Bayesian Filter detected spam

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Tue Mar 23 08:35:07 EST 2004

Richard Greenwood wrote:

> I have used a "brute force" approach in the past:
> 1. Copy a representative sample of the images into a single composite
> image.
> 2. Use the Gimp or Photoshop to create an optimal color palette from the
> composite.
> 3. Save the palette, and then apply it to your whole image set.

Thanks Rich, I think I'll be going that way. I'm not sure how to find a
"representative sample" though. Perhaps I'll script something together
with the GIMP. It will certainly require lots and lots of "brute force"

> You mention "cadastral maps dating from about 1830", my state was not
> even a state until 1890!

Actually, I used those maps for my Ph.D. thesis on the medieval history
of the Maastricht-Aachen-Liège region. Most parcels go back to the late
Middle Ages (11-13th century), and some even to the 10th century. It is
one of the oldest regions of Western Europe, much of it crown domain of
Charlemagne and his successors. I wonder what Montana looked like in
those days.

Jan