[Mapserver-users] "postgis ---> mapserver" query {Scanned}

Siki Zoltan siki at agt.bme.hu
Wed Mar 24 16:07:47 EST 2004

Hi,

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Saurabh Data wrote:

> But to be honest, I dont know much about the shape files. And if they have
> *.shp  extension then I could not find any of them being created or present
> in my directory.

Shape files are NOT created by mapserver, but mapserver can publish
shape files to the internet community. A shape file consist of three or
more files at the same directory/folder. The extensions are
.shp  geometry
.dbf  attributes in dBase format
.shx  MBR for the items in the shp file

So you should have shape files or any other mapserver supported
GIS data (See gdal/ogr or raster formats)

If you use itasca demo then you can findshape files in the data
subdirectory.

> Browsing the web I got the following definition
>
> "stores nontopological geometry and attribute information for the spatial
> features in a data set. The geometry for a feature is stored as a shape
> comprising a set of vector coordinates. Shapefiles handle single features
> that overlap or that are noncontiguous. Shapefiles can support point, line
> and area features.
> "
> But it is still not clear...

Nice definition.