[Mapserver-users] configure options and using --without

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Tue Mar 23 11:39:30 EST 2004

I am trying to explicitly disable support for several configure options
and am finding that some appear not to have a "without" option.  Is this
normal use of configure options?  I see that some options have with and
without in the ./configure --help listing, but assumed that without should
work on any option.  What do you think?

Here are some observations I had when doing this.

The first time I came across this was when using --without-mpatrol.  I
understand that this is an option that is only enabled if specified, so I
don't need to do this, but I found that when I did do this, it appears to
actually try to enable it.

./configure --without-mpatrol

checking whether we should compile in MPATROL support...
configure: error: Could not find mpatrol.h or libmpatrol.a/libmpatrol.so
in /
data4/src/gis/mapserver-4.0.1/no.

----------
Here are a few of the other options I found I couldn't explicitly disable.
 I assume some of this may be due to requirements of GD and MapServer.
>From everything I've read, GD is the only requirement - but of course
jpeg, freetype, png (and zlib) could all be used by GD, so I can see that
mapserv won't do a heck of a lot if I disable these, but humour me :)
Here's what I found happened when I attempted to disable each of these -
only PNG appears to not have got added in - any idea why?

www:/data4/src/gis/mapserver-4.0.1 # ./configure --without-zlib
--without-jpeg --without-png --without-freetype

checking whether we should include JPEG support...
        disabled by --without-jpeg
checking for jpeg_read_header in -ljpeg... yes
        using libjpeg from system libs.

checking where FreeType 2.x is installed...
checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype... yes
        using libfreetype -lfreetype from system libs.

checking where Zlib is installed...
checking for zlibVersion in -lz... yes
        using libz from system libs.

checking where PNG is installed...
checking for png_init_io in -lpng... no
        PNG (libpng) library cannot be found, possibly needed for GD