[Mapserver-users] configure options and using --without

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Mar 23 14:14:24 EST 2004

Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> I am trying to explicitly disable support for several configure options
> and am finding that some appear not to have a "without" option.  Is this
> normal use of configure options?  I see that some options have with and
> without in the ./configure --help listing, but assumed that without should
> work on any option.  What do you think?

In general, using --without should work even if not explicitly listed in
the --help.

> ./configure --without-mpatrol
>
> checking whether we should compile in MPATROL support...
> configure: error: Could not find mpatrol.h or libmpatrol.a/libmpatrol.so
> in /
> data4/src/gis/mapserver-4.0.1/no.

There was a typo in a variable in the configure.in that caused that.  I
have fixed it in the 4.1 CVS.

> ----------
> Here are a few of the other options I found I couldn't explicitly disable.
>  I assume some of this may be due to requirements of GD and MapServer.
>>From everything I've read, GD is the only requirement - but of course
> jpeg, freetype, png (and zlib) could all be used by GD, so I can see that
> mapserv won't do a heck of a lot if I disable these, but humour me :)
> Here's what I found happened when I attempted to disable each of these -
> only PNG appears to not have got added in - any idea why?

Seems that the configure script isn't bullet-proof and assumes that
nobody will try to disable an option that's already built into their
system. i.e. if your GD was built with jpeg, zlib, png and/or freetype,
then having the ability to disable some or all of them in MapServer's
Makefile would only result in linking problems. Since that doesn't
impact usage in normal conditions I didn't really investigate any
further, but you could always file this as a bug.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca