[Mapserver-users] TRANSPARENCY + text embedded layer

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 26 10:46:38 EST 2004

Jason M. Nielsen wrote:
> Does the TRANSPARENCY tag work with embedding text as part of the image as
> listed below or am I simply doing something wrong?

Jason,

I'm sure Steve or someone else could give a more comprehensive answer.
But I suspect the answer is that transparency doesn't always work for
labels.  In particular, the transparency is applied during the "regular
draw phase" for layers.  My understanding is that annotation is sometimes
"saved up" till late in the map render process so various issues about
conflicts and placement can be worked out.  This would subvert the
transparency logic.

I don't know if there is a way to force text to render immediately rather
than saving it up, but if there is that is what you will need.

Best regards,