[Mapserver-users] Newbie Question about rasters

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Fri Mar 26 18:28:33 EST 2004

Paul -

JPEG is a very poor format type to use for geospatial data, mainly due
to performance issues (you need to read and decode the entire image just
to get the value of one pixel).  It seems likely that MapServer is not
reading georeference information for your JPEG, while ArcGIS is.

What do you get when you run "mapserv -v" from the command line?

What is the filename of the georeference "world" file?  It will be
raster/ak.something

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker