[Mapserver-users] Full fledged TIGER Line Project !

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Mon Mar 29 13:18:22 EST 2004

> I am wondering if I need to use
> Map Script or can the same itasca demo method will drive me there to
achive
> this . Have any  one  already done this ?

You should probably just focus on using the CGI and avoid map script for
now.  When you hit limitations, then you'll want to dive deeper into
mapscript, but you are proposing anything too complex yet.  You need to
have a look at the "query" capabilities in the itasca demo and you'll see
that you can pass parameters to mapserver to zoom in to features, hilite
them, etc.  Once you've got this under your belt, then you can use text
boxes and drop-down lists in your web page for the user to select the area
to zoom to.

> And moreover I want to render the
> County maps with "search the location /city " type of queries in a Win
CE
> Powered PDAs ( similar to Pocket PC ) So I plan to have the TIGER files
> stored in USB and then access the files to render the map based on
queries

It sounds like you want to run mapserver on a CE device, right?  I don't
know of anyone who has done this yet, but there was some querying about it
on the list last week.  If the device had Internet access, that would be
much much better!